July 08, 2010

The Departure


As we took our last drive through the Mission I realized how badly I needed to escape the double parked, no public bathroom, parking-ticket-ways which I have grown so accustomed to over the last several years. Don’t get me wrong – I totally dig San Francisco and all the wonderfully crazy people that it has to offer, but I had recently reached a breaking point and it seems like the right time for a self induced time-out. Three hours later we are at a truck stop somewhere along interstate five between reality and retreat – standing in the baking hot sun in the middle of the desert. Just like that we are gone and all the stresses of getting out of town just faded away. Now we were just two vagabonds chain-smoking next to a semi truck and a redneck. The Mojave Desert blessed our drive with a radiant orange sunset and it reminded me of many I had seen as a kiddo. The desert is a beautiful place and it’s comical that Jarvis just finds it creepy. Those hills totally have eyes and we were being watched the entire way. As the warm dark desert faded behind us, there were lights on the horizon. First stop on the agenda - Vegas baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment