July 25, 2010

Austin's Shitty Limits

We popped into Carlsbad Caverns on our way out of the Land of Enchantment. I failed to inform Jarvis that we had to snake down a fairly steep walkway some 750 feet before we reached the main cavern. I was worried that he would find a divorce attorney the second we stepped back on normal ground, but he didn’t. The caverns were dark and smelled dank – I didn’t really appreciate the muskiness as we made our decent. I thought it smelled like bat butt and I was slightly paranoid that I was going to get a hair full of guano at any minute. It never happened. The caverns were amazing and some kind of creepy cross between The Labyrinth, Fraggle Rock and The Never Ending Story – some sort of 80’s movie smash on LSD.



We left the caverns and decided that rather than staying in the one RV and Campground in Carlsbad (which appeared to be a murder camp on the side of the highway – something strait out of The Devils Rejects) we would get a jump on our next big stretch – Carlsbad to Austin. Little did we know that there isn’t jack shit in western Texas. What was suppose to be a “lets get into Texas and then find a place to sleep” became a three hour ordeal through the barren countryside studded with ghost towns and tumbleweeds. Each town we pass through is uncomfortable and lined with eyes – “looking, watching, judging”. For the first time on our trip I can feel a bit of racial tension and I am starting to regret getting a head start on my tan this summer. Oh well – fuck them if they can’t hang; besides, we are on our way to the dirty dirty and I’m interested to see what sort of things are in store for us.

Austin. Jarvis and I both had high expectations – we have herd throughout the years that Austin is the “new San Francisco” and that we would totally love it. ALL LIES. Don’t get me wrong, it is a great city lined with rivers, lakes, beautiful lush green parks, rolling tree covered hillsides, and TONS OF BARS….but it’s got nothing on San Francisco and the freaks that make our home homey. Not to mention ATX is filled to the brim with polo wearing jocks and college skanks – the complete package of beached blond, stripper clothes wearing, bimbos, competing to get laid each night downtown at a plethora of stupid clubs which play music that I listened to when I was in high school. I feel like if I ever lived in Austin it would be a great regression and as far as I can foresee, Jarvis and I will never plant our roots in this “Texas Pride” wearing state. Not our cup of tea….defiantly gets the “Sour” seal on our hunt to find to the sweet.

That was my rant, but in all seriousness, of course we did enjoy some aspects of our weekend in “Austin’s Shitty Limits”, as I like to say. On Friday we spent the afternoon at Barton Springs Pool – a naturally fed swimming hole that overflows into the Lady Bird Lake and snakes around the downtown cityscape. I got to watch turtles eat some bread that a lil’ boy was throwing to some ducks and walk barefoot through a grass meadow – I couldn’t remember the last time that I got to rub my feet in grass that soft. It really felt like summer.



Also, we finally got to eat some real deal Texas BBQ. We totally fattened our faces at Iron Works BBQ in Downtown Austin last night before bed. I had a BBQ brisket plate complete with pork n’ beans and potato salad and Jarvis nearly inhaled a sampler plate – beef ribs, sausage and brisket which he doused in the extra fire hot sauce. We both washed it down with an icy cold Coors Light, which after days of drinking Lone Star tall boys, tasted like “my mountains are blue deliciousness.”



It’s Sunday morning and I’m sitting in the hotel lobby restaurant waiting for my hubby to come down and have some brunch. We are leaving to Dallas today and I’m super excited to visit an old friend that I’ve known since fifth grade. We will be on our way to Little Rock, Memphis, and Nashville this week and to the New Orleans Bayou by the weekend. Tomorrow is our one month anniversary, and as of yet, we wont be filing for a divorce any time soon. Jarvis said that it already feels like a lifetime – I say, “the best lifetime ever.”

No comments:

Post a Comment