August 09, 2010

Welcome to the Sunshine State

We left New Orleans about a week ago and headed our way to the Sunshine State. Within a few hours we passed through legs of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. Jarvis and I have been taking a picture of each “state” sign as we pass the boundary from one into another, and we laugh hysterically as we note a man taking a piss under the “Welcome to Alabama” sign. Perfect. We exit off the interstate and make our way down through an all American town called Niceville. The blue waters of the Florida Gulf reveal themselves, and as the sweet salty breeze kissed my face, I am eternally thankful to be back on the coast.


We make our way to Panama City Beach, Florida – aka The Emerald Coast. The turquoise-aqua colored water and beautiful white beaches call my name and I can’t wait to sink my toes into both. We stayed in PCB for two nights with some family friends who took it upon themselves to spoil us rotten. We arrive at their house to ice cold beers, golf cart tours of the neighborhood beaches, battered and fried shrimp bites the size of little baby arms (not that I would eat a baby), and this cheesy seafood spread/dip that I haven’t been able to get out of my mind since we left. I honestly desire it daily and have been on the hunt for more at every store since we left. D&K take us for dinner the second night at a place right on the beach called Schooners. I have a jumbo strawberry daiquiri, which I have been yearning for since Vegas, and we share these sautéed, melt in your mouth, crab claw bites that Jarvis and I can’t quit talking about. We could eat like five pounds of those bad boys on a daily basis. Delicious city. Our hosts might not realize what they got themselves into – I heart Panama City Beach, and we will enthusiastically be making a revisit in the future.

Back in the car Wednesday morning, and after a few errands, back on the road. Next stop is Gainesville, Florida to party down with my uncle for his twenty-fifth birthday. For those who are unfamiliar, Gainesville is a big ass college town and home to the Florida Gators. We visit the college campus, and strangely it causes me to miss school; but, then I remember the stresses that surrounded that period of my life and I shake the thought like a bad habit. Back to reality. We visit The Swamp, and I get itchy inside for football Sundays back home with the boys. The place is amazing, and Jarvis was stoked to visit the stadium. That night we tied one on at the bars in Midtown. We both felt a bit old as we made our way through college kids that barely look old enough to floss fake IDs. I can’t remember the last time that I attended a “ladies night” and got to knock back free well drinks. Maybe never. We have a blast shooting some billiards, and celebrate the birthday in face-smashing obliteration. The next day is dominated by a hangover, but it feels good to be lazy and watch funny movies. Besides, the heat outside will intensify any mild headache to a gut wrenching migraine, and I’m perfectly cool with soaking up the cold air conditioning inside. I made grandma’s secret recipe meatballs for dinner and proceed to pass the fuck out for a good ten hours.

Friday we arrive in Spring Hill, Florida to visit my Dad’s sister and her super awesomely cute family. We drive to the coast and I’m surprised in the differences between this coastline, and the typical Florida seashore that I have been exposed to my entire life. Grasses grow thick and tall, and brackish marshes link flowing canals to mucky swamps. Jarvis is on a quest to see a Gator, but to no avail. We eat dinner at this dive of a place right on the marsh, and the food is scrumptious. I have a great time with the kids and laugh my ass off at the way my lil’ cousin inhales fried calamari. It feels outstanding to be in the presence of family once more.


We go down to the pier for the sunset. Boats come in and out of the channel and enormous matinees cuddle puddle beneath the dock. There is a dolphin peaking up through the ebbing tide in the distance. The oranges melt into pinks as purples and blues descend into the sea for a sweet dreamy slumber. The twilight is perfect. We will be spending the next two weeks frolicking around beaches, and I’ve got to say – It genuinely feels like summer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment